Q: Does Australia’s liberal democratic system enhance the well-being (rights and freedoms) of its citizens?
Critically discuss your answer by considering the following:
- Briefly outline your understanding of the Australian liberal democratic system (with reference to what is meant by democracy and what is meant by liberal).
- Discuss the strengths and limitations of the Australian liberal democratic system for the well-being of its citizens
For this assessment:
Especially useful for this question are topics 2, 3 and 4.
- Please note: to critically discuss something means to provide an in depth examination of the strengths and weakness of the ideas/arguments in the assessment question, supported by quality evidence.
- To do this you will need to read widely about the topic or issue and use a range of different sources of information and identify a range of viewpoints supported by research and critically consider the multiple perspectives. (See:https://www.csu.edu.au/current-students/learning-resources/build-your-skills/ academic-skills-help
This assessment task will assess the following learning outcome/s:
- be able to understand the concepts of liberal and democratic as they relate to a Liberal democratic political system.
- be able to demonstrate how Liberal Democratic Political Systems Enhance or limit the well being of citizens.
- be able to demonstrate an understanding of rights and freedoms in a Liberal Democracy
MARKING CRITERIA AND STANDARDS
The assignment will be marked by the following criteria
- Evidence of understanding what is meant by democracy and what is meant by liberal in the Australian context
- Evidence of a comprehensive understanding of the Australian liberal democratic system in terms of how it enhances and/or limits the rights and freedoms of citizens.
- Clarity of structure, written expression, presentation, evidence of relevant reading within and beyond the material provided and adherence to APA7 referencing guidelines