The focus of this assessment is for you to focus on the following statement and discuss:
“CHILD CENTRED SOCIAL WORK IS INFORMED BY KNOWLEDGE (THEORIES, LITERATURE, VALUES) AND IS PRACTICED WITHIN A SOCIAL, LEGAL AND POLITICAL CONTEXT. DISCUSS”
The foundation of ethical social work practice is understanding the knowledge and context necessary to work with children and families. The aim of this assessment is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your understanding of child centred social work.
The objective of this assessment is for you to consolidate and appraise the knowledge and theories that we have discussed in the first half of the semester to discuss the following statement.
CHILD CENTRED SOCIAL WORK IS INFORMED BY KNOWLEDGE (THEORIES, LITERATURE, VALUES) AND IS PRACTICED WITHIN A SOCIAL, LEGAL AND POLITICAL CONTEXT
In discussing the statement it will be helpful for you to think about and answer the following questions:
- What is your understanding of child-centred social work practice? (Make sure you include definition of social work and link the values and ethos of social work to working in a child centred)
- What theories, literature, knowledge informs child-centred social work?
- Discuss the legal and political context within which child centred social work is practiced. What are the challenges?
This is an academic paper so please ensure that you read the requirements for writing an academic paper before commencing this assignment.
- The focus of this paper is demonstrating your understanding of theory and knowledge relevant for child-centred social work practice. It is an academic piece of work and therefore it is important to access and use social work literature that has been presented in this topic and beyond. Your work must be referenced as this changes your assignment from your opinion to a discussion that is professional and supported by evidence. The transition from an opinion to professional opinion occurs through the use of referencing. The amount of evidence that you use to support your analysis is a part of your developing professional judgement and will be assessed by the markers. (Adapted from Topic Guide “Social Work Theories” (2017)
- Marking rubric available on FLO. Criteria for assessment include: demonstrated understanding of child centred social work; discussion of child centred social work using academic resources and case study