Short Answer Questions
- Identify 4 (four) strategies that may enhance your ability to be culturally safe and briefly explain cultural safety.
- Briefly describe, in your own words, the concept of cultural competence and its importance in your nursing practice (in 40-60 words).
- Define aDiversitya and describe how working within a culturally diverse group can be a positive experience.
- How could Nurses use imagery (guided imagery) as a resource to support individuals from different cultures? (In 30-50 words).
- Why is it extremely important to support and protect diversity in a workplace? (In 30-50 words).
- Identify and describe 2 (two) measures you could implement in improving self-awareness and social awareness when working with people from different cultures.
- Describe what the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is (in 130 – 150 words).
- Provide an example of a breach of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights? How could you respond to a breach of human rights?
- Briefly outline the relationship between human rights and human needs (in 30 – 60 words).
- Research and summarize the following common frameworks and approaches used in the workplace in protecting human rights (in 20-40 words each).
- 10.1:Australia’s human rights framework:
- 10.2: Approaches and instruments used to implement human rights in workplace (include 7 Core Treaties)
- Culture, race, and ethnicity are some words that are commonly used to describe forms of difference in a diverse population. Explain in your own words what each term means and provide at least one example of a characteristic that makes them differ from each other.
- How could you demonstrate understanding and acceptance of gender diversity? (In 30-50 words).
- How might generational factors affect one’s interactions with other people in the workplace? (In 30-50 words).
- List down three potential needs of marginalized groups.
- List down five social, political, and economic issues affecting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- How does, western systems, and structures impact on Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and their engagement with services
- Case study: Carefully read the case study below and address the following associated questions. The required word count for each question is 25-50 words.
Case study 1
The Aged Care Facility you work in has many staff members from different ethnic backgrounds. It is Australia Day, and the facility is celebrating with a sausage sizzle. Kate is a support worker from Argentina and is new to the facility. She is very assertive. She is bringing clients from their rooms to the courtyard. Mrs Fatima refuses, saying it is her praying time. Mrs Fatima informs Kate that she will take another twenty (20) minutes before coming to the event. Kate tells her that she will be helping with the cooking, and she will not come back to help Mrs Fatima. Kate walks out of Mrs Fatimaas room without waiting for her response.
Mrs Fatima became upset with Kateas arrogant attitude. You overheard the conversation and saw Kate walking out of Mrs Fatimaas room.
Answer the following questions based on the case study:
- Demonstrate how you would support Mrs Fatima in this scenario.
- Demonstrate how you would support Kate in this scenario.
18. Short Answer
Cultural awareness is an essential skill in the provision of culturally appropriate services. Briefly describe, in your own words, the concept of cultural awareness and its importance in your nursing practice (in 40-60 words).