TERMS & NAMES For each term or name below, briefly explain its connection to
European history from 1500 to 1800.
1. absolute monarch
2. divine right
3. Louis XIV
4. War of the Spanish Succession
5. Thirty Years’ War
6. Seven Years’ War
7. Peter the Great
8. English Civil War
9. Glorious Revolution
10. constitutional monarchy
Spain’s Empire and European Absolutism Section 1 (pages 589–595)
11. What three actions demonstrated that Philip II of Spain saw himself as a defender of
12. According to French writer Jean Bodin, should a prince share power with anyone else?
Explain why or why not.
The Reign of Louis XIV Section 2 (pages 596–602 )
13. What strategies did Louis XIV use to control the French nobility?
14. In what ways did Louis XIV cause suffering to the French people?
Central European Monarchs Clash Section 3 (pages 603–607)
15. What were six results of the Peace of Westphalia?
16. Why did Maria Theresa and Frederick the Great fight two wars against each other?
Absolute Rulers of Russia Section 4 (pages 608–613)
17. What were three differences between Russia and western Europe?
18. What was Peter the Great’s primary goal for Russia?
Parliament Limits the English Monarchy Section 5 (pages 614–617)
19. List the causes, participants, and outcome of the English Civil War.
20. How did Parliament try to limit the power of the English monarchy?
W8D3 Research assignment – 40 marks
Investigate Peter the Great, and the highlights of the Romanov dynasty. Address the
following components in your researching and reporting:
1. The Role of Peter the Great : Write a report that summarizes the highlights of the
life and influence of Peter addressing the following two categories:
● Biography/Interesting Information – answer the question: Who was he as a
person (his upbringing, family, etc.)?
● Key Actions/Highlights of His Leadership – answer the questions: What did
he do and what is he known for? What were his views and actions to bring about
change in Russia, both in the short and long term? (Give more attention to this
than the biography in your report.)
2. Romanov Ruler – Free Choice: Write a report that summarizes the highlights of the
life and influence of one other Romanov ruler (free choice) addressing the following two
● Biography/Interesting Information – answer the question: Who was he/she
as a person (his/her upbringing, family, etc.)?
● Key Actions/Highlights of Leadership – answer the questions: What did
he/she do and what is he/she known for? What were his/her views and actions to
bring about change in Russia, both in the short and long term? (Give more
attention to this than the biography in your report.)
The quality of writing is more important than the length, so ensure that you thoroughly
and accurately address the two categories above (Biography/Interesting Information and
Key Actions/Highlights of Their Leadership).
3. Romanov Dynasty Timeline : Create a simple timeline that summarizes the
important dates and events of the Romanov Dynasty, from 1613 until 1917. Students
should keep the timeline to a maximum of two pages in length . Students should have
a minimum of 10 dates , and the quality of your date choices is more important than
the exact number. Excessive detail is not necessary, and if exact dates are not known,
an estimate is not a problem. For each item on the timeline, include the event, the date,
and a brief description of the importance of the event. Make it as creative as you choose,
and the page setup can be portrait or landscape. Feel free to add pictures, clip art, color,
etc. Have fun with the creation of the timeline.