1. Choose a global fashion, automobile or grocery/supermarket company that has expanded across
borders into Asia. Discuss and critique its approach to ‘Internationalisation’ including a clear analysis
of the strategies and process it has used to expand across borders. Also provide a detailed analysis of
the challenges and problems the business has faced as it has expanded into the Asian market.
2. Research, discuss and identify how ‘globalization’ impacts business today, and what international
managers must know to stay ahead of the game. Identify and discuss how outsourcing and offshoring
contribute to globalization using a company case study to identify the challenges, opportunities and
problems that globalization presents.
3. Conduct an analysis of the socio-cultural implications for managers in the course of doing business
between Australia and China and/or India. Use a case study company that has shown success in its
global strategies in this regard.
4. Research, identify and discuss the key differences in negotiation and decision making processes used
between American and Middle Eastern companies/businesses. Identify an American company that
has expanded into the Middle East and use it as a case study to discuss what changes American
managers would need to make in order to ensure success in this market.
5. The case “IKEA in Russia – Ethical Dilemmas” describes the efforts and tribulations of international
furniture retail giant, IKEA while setting up and doing business in the emergingmarket of Russia.
Analyse IKEA’s opportunities and challenges in Russia as well as the company’s struggling with a
corrupt bureaucracy in Russia and the way the system always went against its business plans. How did
IKEA adhere to its own ethical standards, both in Russia and other global markets?
6. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. is an Italian and American multinational corporation and is the world’s eighth largest auto maker. The group was established in late 2014 by merging Fiat and Chrysler into a new holding company. However, this was not an easy job since there were a number of difficulties
rising for both firms while merging. Please identify the intricacies of strategic alliances as well as
merging two companies in the same industry in this case. What do you anticipate regarding the
growth of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in the automotive industry?